Wednesday 28 September 2011

Footnote follies

Until now, I was baffled by how to add footnotes to blog entries using HTML code; a major weakness when I rely on my ability to cite my sources. But I'm now getting the hang of it, thanks to this article

That said, it's still a bit of a pain. Blogger should've added a footnote function to its 'Compose' view by now.

Anyway, I've been cleaning up the entries that've used the footnote-adding method derived from here (above). My first attempt with adding footnotes didn't do trackbacks, instead linking to my sign-in for the blog. After paying closer attention to the instructions, I realised it was because I was flipping back to 'Compose' mode before posting. And you're not meant to do that. Whoops! However, even though I 'got it', the code, itself, was so daunting, it took another coupla goes to get right. And even then, I was too 'scared' to add other footnotes. The footnote numbers at the bottom of the page, would also provide links to the same page, too. For some reason. That's been fixed.

I've been meaning to add a footnote to 'Nic Cage, vampire?': a link to The Onion article taking the piss out of Birthers. As a general rule, I don't like having to revise blog entries after I post them—makes a mockery of the publication date, ya see—but I had to add that article there. It fits perfectly and I've been holding onto it, trying to figure a way to add it to my blog after forgetting to include it the first time 'round. Welp, it's there now.

Incidentally, the referencing style I'm using is the documentary-note system derived from a widely-used Australian style guide.1 For style guides more suited to your region, publication or discipline, consult Wikipedia.

Edit: I've noticed that the previous coding I was using does the same thing this version does: it only works properly if you're viewing the article on its own, rather than as part of the whole blog. Otherwise, if you click on the 'take me back' link, it'll redirect to the specific blog entry. Sigh. Can't catch a break with this bloody thing. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.



1. Style guide: for authors, editors and printers, 6th edn, John Wiley & Sons Australia, Ltd, [Milton, Qld], 2002, pp. 190–1, 208–15

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...